We’re asking you to support our cause:
Bulawayo Help Network Trust (BHN) and Pensioners Aid Harare
These two Zimbabwean charities support elderly people who have been so badly impacted by the economic turmoil of the last 10 years. Many had sold houses, moved into smaller homes and invested the proceeds expecting to be financially secure for the rest of their days. However when hyper-inflation hit, they lost everything. Many lost their pensions and what they receive today is totally inadequate for their modest needs; all lost their medical aids; and many lost their children who left for greener pastures.
BHN's and Pensioners Aid's main focus is on the Old Age Homes in Bulawayo, Harare and the Midlands. They fund raise so that they can provide some help for medical emergencies. They also help certain individuals in their private homes.
ZANE: Zimbabwe A National Emergency is a UK based charity that raises money outside Zimbabwe to help destitute people in Zimbabwe.
Call Eric on +263 77 975 0920 or email: email@example.com
What ZANE Donors Do for Zimbabwe Pensioners
There are some 6000 old aged pensioners in Zimbabwe. Many are starving.
Their position is desperate and grows worse daily. Some are in receipt of devalued pensions from the Zimbabwe government. However, the hyper-inflation that occurred before the dollarisation of the currency in 2009 means that that these pensions are practically worthless.
The targeted elderly people are those on local pensions, or in some cases, without pensions at all. They will have lived in Zimbabwe most or all of their lives and may well have been part of the war effort in World War ll. Their pensions and savings will have diminished to such an extent that they can no longer afford to live and many receive no (or very little) assistance from their relatives. Some in fact have been abandoned by relatives who have now moved country and have no more to do with them whatsoever.
ZANE is in effective partnership with all the UK services’ charities in Zimbabwe.
There are many Zimbabwe pensioners in these categories in struggling retirement homes.
Because of the legacy of hyper-inflation the management personnel of the homes are facing an endless series of crises and many of them are now near to breaking point. They are unable to buy essential items such as bread, meat, eggs or milk and neither can they carry out essential repairs on their homes. Further, they cannot regularly buy petrol, diesel, lavatory paper, shampoo, soap, toothpaste or cleaning materials. ZANE is working with the homes to keep them open for the sake of the Zimbabwe pensioners.
Although it is a very sobering experience to visit these places, these visits are also uplifting due to the home staff's spirit of determination in dire circumstances. The Zimbabwe pensioners themselves are proud and reluctant to talk of their problems.
Ten reasons to support ZANE
1. ZANE provides aid, comfort and support to 1,800 impoverished pensioners with nowhere else to turn. Only those genuinely in need of assistance receive it.
2. Donors are able to choose which aspect of ZANE's mission they plan to support.
3. ZANE was recently the Telegraph Group Overseas Charity of the year.
4. ZANE is looking after over 600 aged and frail veterans and their widows. These people fought for the Crown in WW2, Malaya, Korea and Aden. Despite their loyal service to the UK, the overwhelming majority are living with insufficient food and limited healthcare.
5. ZANE runs education programmes in the high-density areas assisting women and children living in extreme poverty.
6. ZANE funded the first clubfoot correction programme in Zimbabwe. Eleven treatment centres have been established and over 2,600 children have received treatment to date.
7. ZANE relies on support from private donors.
8. ZANE funds the provision of prosthetic limbs for victims of landmine explosions and treatment for people with hearing loss.
9. ZANE's funds are subject to rigorous audit and ZANE is proud that since its foundation it has never lost money to busted banks, middlemen or corruption.
10. An independent consultancy reviewed ZANE and the report stated:
“The charity thrives on its responsiveness, flexibility and lack of bureaucracy. Operationally ZANE is frugal, focused and effective in delivering aid to the needy.”
If you want to save a life then please support ZANE